Friday, March 11, 2011

Queen Mary

I love History.
(be prepared for lots of pictures)
So When I found out that we would be staying on the Queen Mary while in LA, I could not hold back my excitement.

From the moment I stepped out of the truck I was taking pictures left and right.



We checked in a was told we had a room that did NOT have original interior. Well, that just wasn't going to do. So my wonderful in-laws took one for the team and slept in twins beds while John and I got a king, so that we could stay in a room that had all the original interior from when the ship was originally built.

Once we checked out our room and brought our stuff in, we took off to explore the ship! It was amazing! Walking around and knowing this massive ship (although much smaller than cruise ships today) sailed in the 3o's and was in the WWII.



The ship is docked in Long Beach, the view is amazing.



We didn't get to go and tour the submarine that was there as well, but I was able to snap a picture of it. And it was still very cool to see.







As most people know, John and I love bridges. (I should really post about why we love them so much) So when I spotted a bridge on the ship, I just HAD to have a picture taken. And what better thing to do on a bridge than kiss?!


There was so much to take in, so much to see, so much to learn about. One day I would love to go back and get a guided tour.



One of the coolest parts was walking down into the propeller room. It was kind of weird. We walked into this room that was dark, but there were lights going down into the water. Once you looked down you could see this huge propeller (with a ton of coins all over it, even dollar bills). Kinda scary to think "What if I fell in?"




After we got back from the concert we walked around the ship some more. Its so gorgeous at night. The night scape from the building was so pretty to see.




I couldn't take enough pictures. I just kept finding more and more places to take pictures. I was so happy (and a little surprised) that John was going along with all the picture taking!



I so enjoyed this trip and there is a small part of me that wishes we could have stayed longer. Ill have to talk to John about going back one day and exploring and learning even more!

No comments: